You might remember me sharing rice sensory play with you a little while ago. Well, it was such a hit with F that we have done it many times since. A couple of weeks back I decided that it was time to dye the rice and do some coloured rice sensory play. It’s really simple to dye rice and I have included the instruction I followed below.
I used four different coloured food colourings and put the rice in four stripes of different colours in our messy play box. To this, I added some scoops and coloured beakers and let F. The different colours were all soon mixed together but we love the multi-coloured rice just as much. F loved this just as much as the last time and happily played with it for some time. When she had finished I put the rice back in an airtight container ready for next time. It keeps really well and already we have used it many times. She is going through a phase of enjoying scooping and transferring things so this activity is perfect.
How to dye rice
- Add a teaspoon of white vinegar to a sandwich bag of rice (I had about 250g rice per bag) add a good few drops of food colouring.
- Mix and keep adding more food colouring until you are happy with the colour.
- Spread the rice out in a thin layer on a tray and leave to dry overnight (which should remove the vinegar smell too).
- Your coloured rice is ready to use. Add to a tuff spot or other suitable tray or container (we use a large storage box).
- Once finished your rice can be stored in an airtight container to use next time.
Have you tried coloured rice sensory play?
Pin for later: