I couldn’t resist buying this gorgeous advent calendar in Matalan a few weeks back. I’ve always admired beautiful, refillable designs. I did start sewing my daughter one but since I fell pregnant, time and energy have been severely lacking so I settled for buying one.
I like the idea of putting a festive activity in each box but wanted to be realistic too. I started out by printing a blank December calendar and writing on it any activities we have already booked in as well as when I am working. So on days I work she gets a Christmas book to unwrap and read at bed time. I didn’t need to buy any new books as we have acquired quiet a collection over the last 2 years and I picked up a few from the library. On my days off I have planned activities but as I have the plan written down so I can swap them around if anything unexpected comes up. Hopefully the end result is an advent calendar packed with festive fun without leaving me stressed out and exhausted. Of course I have also added a piece of Chocolate in each box and my parents bought her a Peppa pig chocolate one that she loves too.
Here are some of the books we have in our Christmas collection.
Here are some of the activities I have planned.
- Christmas tree play dough.
- Visit Father Christmas.
- A toddler Christmas party.
- A Christmas sticker book (on a day we are going out for a big family meal which will involve having to keep her happy/quiet in a restaurant).
- Christmas colouring roll.
- Decorate a gingerbread house.
- Christmas small world play.
- Help put up the Christmas tree.
- Have a picnic by the Christmas tree.
- Make and decorate salt dough decorations.
- Various Christmas crafts.
Have you done an activity or book advent calendar with your child/children? I love to hear more suggestions for activities.